Is it really true that “breakfast is the most important meal of the day”?
Mornings can be demanding, and we tend to bet on breakfast. Many of us underestimate the value of breakfast by having a glass of juice or a cup of milk and eat nothing at all. We skip the AM meal to rush out of the door. However, research has shown that breakfast skippers do not make up for the missed nutrients the morning meal provides.
Here are some tips for parents to incorporate healthy breakfast routine in your childrenâ€™s school routine:
- Prepare for your tiny oneâ€™s school the night before by preparing the next day’s clothes, lunch and backpack.
- Stock your kitchen with healthy and convenient breakfast options.
- Prepare for the next morning breakfast a night before. Plan on the menu, cut up fruits & veggies and keep the utensils ready.
- Set the alarm for 20 mins earlier to have sufficient time to prepare breakfast.
- Get kids up 15 mins earlier to eat the breakfast.
- Avoid TV or gaming time in the morning.
- Choose foods that require little preparation such as vegetable stuffed sandwich, cereals, pancakes, hard-boiled eggs etc.
- On days when you run out of time to eat/prepare breakfast, have grab-and-go alternatives (oatmeal; wholegrain bread & cheese; fresh fruit; individual packs of whole grain cereal; yogurt or smoothies).
- Have your child eat â€˜breakfast-to-goâ€™ on the bus, in the car, or while walking to school.
- Make time for breakfast -your child and in the bargain donâ€™t neglect yourself !